Skip to main content

Thank you for challenging me George Couros

     I admitted before that sometimes I tend to take too long to think about things.  Well Mr. Couros, I spent a lot of time thinking about what you said in your session, "Leading Innovative Change"at ISTE13.  I already agreed with you about the smartest person in the room being the room.  Focusing on relationships wasn't something you had to convince me to do.  I experience too much "mind your own business learning" around me so I was still with you.  We are on the same page with learning being the focus over technology.
   I was with you through that presentation.  Then, you pushed me out of my comfort zone.  You asked us to raise our hands if we thought we could teach you something.  I must admit I did not raise my hand.  You managed to hit on one of my insecurities.  I have no problem teaching those around me because they are not very tech savvy.  When I come to large conventions though, I don't feel like I am able to teach others because I see so many people who know so much more than me.  Then, you pushed me further when you asked us where we share.  At that point, I shared in my face to face community and was just beginning to become an active Twitter user.
  I wrestled with what you said for quite a while.  I spent time reflecting on where and how I share. Then, I took your challenge.  I have become an active participant with people all over the world this school year.  I co-founded two professional development groups.  I am learning new things and sharing them with the wider world in a way I never did before.  It took time to find my footing before I put myself out there.  I am applying for new, competitive opportunities that I might not have done before.  So, Thank You!  What you said has changed me.  I hope you will continue to challenge educators.  The most growth does occur when we are out of our comfort zone so thank you for pushing me out of mine!

Comments

George Couros said…
Well this absolutely made my night to hear someone think about something that was said, reflect on it, and TAKE ACTION!!! All the power to you for doing that and being so brave to share.

Awesome! Glad I could help and by the way, you know you could teach me something ;)
Joy Kirr said…
Oh, so MANY of us feel this way! Thank you for sharing - it will help boost many other people's confidence as well!!
M said…
Thank you Joy!

Popular posts from this blog

Free Resources for Teachers

The word f ree always catches the attention of teachers, but I encounter so many teachers around the country who are missing out on a great way to get free resources and ideas.   So where is this place with free resources and ideas?  Head to Twitter. Stay with me for a minute …. even if your eyes glazed over and you don’t use Twitter. You can get resources and ideas, even if you don’t sign up for an account or ever send a single tweet.  You can still search through Twitter for free resources and ideas. Navigate to www.twitter.com Look for the magnifying glass and click it to search. With Twitter, it is all about the hashtag (#).  The hashtag is used to describe a category or topic. Jerry Blumengarten, aka @cybraryman1 on Twitter, has compiled a list of educational hashtags, https://www.cybraryman.com/edhashtags.html You can find everything from: broad topics like #edtech, grade level chats like #4thchat (tell @plnaugle - Marcie sent y...

Well... I am taking up the challenge

A fellow educator that led an online conference challenged teachers to blog. This account was set up long ago, but I was always unsure what I had to say that could be important to others. So I am just going to blog about what is happening. So here goes my first attempt ... Right now, I am in the midst of the controlled chaos that surrounds the last few weeks of school. We are trying to finish this year and plan for the next. I am preparing to teach tech classes to the teachers at my school for 4 days right after school ends. The following week, I am scheduled to attend a week of training to be a certified Promethean trainer. I am also working to set up my attendance at the Apple summer institute in Boston. While all this is going on, I am trying to figure out how best to move our school forward in the implementation of technology. Our teachers range from the very basic tech users all the way to those who are willing to try something new all of the time. I am working hard to...